Demi Lovato on Battling Bipolar Disorder: 'Recovery Is Possible'


Demi Lovato knows all too well the struggles of mental health and addiction.

The 22-year-old "Heart Attack" singer, who is now a celebrity spokesperson for the Be Vocal: Speak Up for Mental Health campaign, opened up about her own struggles with bipolar disorder and alcohol abuse during an appearance on Thursday's Today show.

"I've been very open about my story just because that the more honest and open I am, the more people that I'm gonna be able to reach," said Demi, noting the lack of conversation that happens regarding mental illness.

"I wish that more people can understand from a point where it's not a choice to have an addiction. And with bipolar disorder, it's a chemical imbalance and it's something that you have to figure out your own treatment with your own team. In order to do that, it takes time," she continued.

"Finally I'm in a great place where I can say recovery is possible," said Demi.

The former Disney star also posted to Instagram about the Be Vocal campaign.

"Bipolar disorder is part of my life, but it doesn’t define me. For those struggling with mental health issues, it’s so important to speak up for yourself and learn how to live well."

Demi has also struggled with eating disorders in the past. In December, she admitted that her problems almost landed her back in rehab last summer.

"I was obsessing over food and terrified of it at the same time," said Demi, who credits boyfriend Wilmer Valderrama for "calling her out."

Now, Demi is back on her feet, and is actually launching a new record label with Nick Jonas called Safehouse Records!
Share on Google Plus
    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment